Sunday, January 3, 2010

My Mini Bio

Here is a little about me: (from my Donation Page)


Kia Ora, or Hello!


My name is Allison Roshon Young and I am 22 years old. I was born and raised in Charlotte, North Carolina, and I will graduate in May 2010 from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I am very excited to bike across my home state and celebrate the familiar surroundings before heading of to explore the great unknown! The physical challenge may seem a bit daunting right now, but I know with training I will be ready to ride off into the sunset!


I will graduate with a B.A. in Public Relations, but my interests are much broader than my major. I have a minor in Social Entrepreneurship and have great interest in social ventures. I love to think creatively to solve problems and enjoy helping others achieve their goals. I am interested in Psychology and Social Work and am considering pursuing a career in counseling or non-profit management. I do not know what the future holds for me now, but plan to let my heart and experiences guide me. I would love to own and run my own non-profit one day.

In my free time I enjoy spending time outside, and I'm up for any new exhilarating activity. I also work with several non profit organizations involved with bereavement services and programs which serve disconnected youth. I also volunteer each week with Helping Horse, a therapeutic horseback riding facility in Raleigh, NC. I am fascinated by people, families, and friends, and I love spontaneous dance parties.


Random fun facts about me: I have bungy jumped 134 meters, rafted down a 7 meter waterfall, and I can juggle!


I first heard about Bike and Build from a friend during my sophomore year of college. My desire to apply was strengthened again during the spring of my Junior year when one of my roommates from my study abroad program in New Zealand told me how great her experience had been.


A portion of the proceeds from my ride with Bike and Build will go to the Orange County Habitat for Humanity chapter, which is based here in the area where I am attending school. I have done builds with the Orange County chapter before, and am greatly pleased that I am able to help them build more homes and benefit my local community. On a personal note, I will be riding with Bike and Build in honor of my mother, Melinda Sue Roshon. To learn more you can visit www.melindasueroshon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment