Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Making Progress

Total Funds Raised: $6, 172.42
Total Miles on my New Bike: 135 miles
Longest Ride to date: 32 miles

Hey everyone! Just an update to let you know that training is now fully underway and I am loving it. The fantastic spring weather hasn't hurt either! I am trying to get in 3 rides a week with at least one of them totaling 30 miles. I also found a really great 20 mile route that has some nice little hills on it, which definitely gets the cardio pumpin.

Next on my list is to start collecting the rest of my bike gear and start learning more about how to maintain my bike. There is so much to learn! I can not wait until it all becomes second nature to me. It is all so exciting.

I am hoping to participate in a habitat build this weekend and maybe get together with some Bike and Builders again for another longer ride on Sunday. I'm ready to up the ante!

Before I close this brief entry, I wanted to leave you with another educational news tidbit. Below is an opinion piece published last week on the the News and Observer website regarding Wake County Schools and affordable housing. As you may know, there has been a discussion on changing the district's policies on busing students to achieve diversity. The county is scheduled to vote today on whether to end the policy. You can read more about the vote here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/23/403142/nc-school-board-set-for-vote-on.html?storylink=misearch#ixzz0j1r6QjLS

Letter to the editor: Housing the answer

The solution to the current debate regarding Wake County schools is to have schools that are both economically diverse and neighborhood-based. To achieve this, we need diverse neighborhoods, not concentrations of wealth or poverty. The key is the availability of quality, affordable housing, as well as the schools, transportation choices and neighborhood businesses, services and recreational facilities that make for sustainable communities.

Until more progress is made in these essential areas, other means are required to provide high-quality education countywide, including the current magnet system and student assignment policy.

Ultimately, it's just the right thing to do. A mature citizenry combines personal perspectives with a commitment to the common good. In this way, we can create a better future for all of our Wake County neighbors.

Thomas Barrie

Professor of architecture, N.C. State University, Raleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment